Great Day Kitchen, 2/21/17 - Shrimp Ceviche
Chef Hillori: Shrimp Ceviche (Part 2)
Chef Hillori: Creamy Asparagus Soup (Part 1)
Chef Hillori: Creamy Asparagus Soup (Part 2)
Chef Hillori Hansen, from Whole Foods, located in Fresno, visited Great Day to prepare some delicious food.
Click here to visit the Fresno Whole Foods Market website.
Click here for the cooking classes offered at the Fresno location.
- 3 pounds raw shrimp, cleaned and deveined
- 4 large tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 6 limes, juiced, plus 2 for garnish
- 4 lemons, juiced
- 1 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 serrano chili or jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely diced
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 3 tablespoons tomato sauce
- ½ - 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 – 2 avocado for garnish
- Lay out shrimp in the bottom of glass baking dish.
- Pour lemon and lime juice over them and refrigerate for 3 hours. The citrus juice will "cook" the shrimp.
- Toss with remaining ingredients and refrigerate for one more hour or longer.
- Top with some sliced avocado, a pinch of salt and enjoy with tortilla chips or serve over grilled fish
Creamy Asparagus Soup with Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
- 1 large leek, white and light green parts only, cleaned and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- pinch nutmeg
- 1 cup Yukon gold potato, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 bunch asparagus, woody stems snapped off and discarded, spears cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/3 cup fresh grated Parmesan Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- Melt butter in a medium pot over medium low heat.
- Add leeks and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant.
- Add broth, potatoes, thyme, salt, pepper, nutmeg and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium low; add asparagus and simmer gently until potatoes and asparagus are tender.
- Remove pot from heat and set aside to let cool slightly.
- Carefully transfer soup to blender in batches and purée until smooth.
- Return soup to pot and heat through.
- Ladle soup into bowls, garnishing with fresh grated Parmesan Cheese and chopped chives.