Great Day Kitchen, 1/31/17 - Tree Of Life
Chef Phillip Ocheltree, from Tree of Life Cafe & Bakery, located at 2139 Kern Street in in downtown Fresno, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food.
Click here to visit The Tree of Life online or call (559) 663-7776.
Click here to follow on Facebook.
California Winter Brussel Sprouts with Bacon & Walnuts
- 1 pound fresh California Brussels sprouts, trimmed & quartered
- 2 Tablespoons California olive oil
- Salt and Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 cup chopped California walnuts
- 3 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 2 Tablespoons California honey
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- ¼ cup grated California Pecorino-Romano cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).
- Toss Brussels sprouts with olive oil, salt, and pepper together in a bowl or plastic bag until coated. Transfer coated sprouts to a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until sprouts are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Cook & stir chopped bacon till nearly crisp, about 7 minutes. Toss walnuts in and continue to cook an additional 2 minutes. Toss dried cranberries in and cook for another minute (10 minutes total, approximately).
- Add honey & rosemary to bacon mixture. Cook, stirring often, until the bacon drippings & honey begin to thicken and stick to the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes.
- Combine cooked Brussels sprouts & bacon mixture together in a large bowl; toss until sprouts are coated with honey sauce. Sprinkle Pecorino-Romano cheese on top; toss well.
Best served warm. Serves 6-8
- 2 pounds tomatillos
- 6 cloves garlic (not peeled)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1 Poblano pepper
- 1 Anaheim pepper
- 1 Fresno pepper
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves, chopped
- 3 pounds pork shoulder, trimmed and chopped
- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, diced
- Fresh ground black pepper
- Olive oil
- 3 yellow onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 2 Tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- ½ Tablespoon dried oregano
- 3 cups chicken stock
- Pinch of ground cloves
- Pinch of cumin
- Remove husks from tomatillos and rinse. On one pan, halve and roast the tomatillos with the unpeeled garlic at 350 degrees F 5-7 min. On another pan roast all peppers and 1 onion at 350 degrees F 7-10 min. Cool roasted vegetables and remove garlic from skins. Place them all in a blender with the cilantro and pulse to a fine chop.
- Season pork cubes generously with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large skillet and brown pork on all sides at medium-high. Work in batches if needed to avoid crowding. Remove pork and set aside, drain all fat but a Tablespoon or so. Then place onions and garlic in the same skillet and sauté for 5 minutes. Add the pork back to the pan with the oregano and Chile Verde sauce. Cover with chicken stock and a pinch of cloves. Add a pinch of salt and pepper, bring to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Cook for 2 hours, then add potatoes and cook for 1-2 more hours.
Serving Suggestions: Serve in street tacos, over Spanish rice or in burritos.