Fish and Seafood 101
Kim and Kopi got a crash course on everything concerning fish and seafood with Chef David Pol from the Institute of Technology.
Feel free to print these recipes and try the dishes with your family and friends. Let us know how they turn out!Chef Dave's California Fish Taco's(Serves 4)
2 lbs. Fresh Halibut Fillets or other White Fish Fillets
16 White Corn Tortillas
Fresh Baby Greens
Dredge the fish in the Cajun spice and pan sear in a little olive oil until just done and opaque in the center.
Warm the tortillas in a dry skillet.
Arrange 2 tortillas on a plate, overlapping each other. Each taco will have 2 tortillas.
Flake the fish and place 3 or 4 oz. of fish on the tortillas.
Top with greens, shredded cabbage, grated carrots & radishes, cilantro and Mango Salsa.
Continue making tacos, serving 2 tacos per person.
1 lb Crab meat (1 can)
3 tbl Shallots, minced
1 tsp Fresh thyme
1/2 tsp White pepper
1 tbl Fresh lemon juice
1 cup Panko bread crumbs
3/4 cup Mayo
1 tbl White wine
Kosher salt to tasteMix all ingredients together and form into patties.Pan fry in a little oil until golden brown.Serve with fresh lemon wedge and sauce of your choice.----------Crispy Skin Pacific Wild Salmon with Lemon Grass - Saffron Nage
For the Dish
- 6 oz. Wild Salmon
- 8 oz. Fish Stock
- 2 Stalks Lemon Grass
- 1 Pinch Saffron
- 2 Tomato Petals
- 1 tsp. Grape Seed Oil
- 2 oz. Green Beans
- 2 oz. Spinach
- 2 oz. Arugula
- 2 oz. Green Asparagus
- 1 tsp. Garlic, Minced
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Dill, Minced
- 3 oz. flax seed oil
For the Nage
1. Simmer fish stock with the lemon grass and saffron and reduce.
For the Dill Oil
1. Blanch the dill, drain and blend with the flax seed oil in a high speed blender.
2. Strain and filter through a cheese cloth and put aside.
For the Vegetables
1. Blanch beans and asparagus.
2. Drain, cool with ice water and put aside.
For the Salmon
1. Season Salmon with kosher salt and pepper and Pan-sear for 3 to 4 minutes on each side, ensuring a nice crisp skin.
2. Heat in a pan 1 tsp. of grape seed oil to sauté the garlic and all green vegetables starting with the green beans and asparagus, add spinach and season vegetables.
3. Just before serving add the arugula.
1. Using a deep plate or pasta bowl, 11". Starting with the green vegetables in the center of plate, adding the Lemon Grass Saffron Nage and place the Salmon on top of the garden greens. Garnish with the tomato petals, infusing the nage with the dill oil (to taste - approximately 1 tsp.).
Seared Scallop Salad with Asparagus and Scallions
1 pound large whole scallions
1 1/4 pounds asparagus, tough stems discarded, stalks peeled
1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
1 3/4 pounds sea scallops
1 teaspoon chopped thyme
1 medium shallot, minced
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
1. In a pot of boiling salted water, blanch the scallions just until tender, 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels. Repeat with the asparagus.
2. In a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil. Add the scallions and asparagus and season with salt and pepper. Cook over moderately high heat, gently tossing occasionally, just until golden, about 5 minutes. Keep warm.
3. Pat the scallops dry; season with salt and pepper. In another large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil until shimmering. Working in batches, sear the scallops over moderately high heat until golden, 2 minutes per side. Transfer to warmed plates. Wipe out the skillet.
4. Heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in the same skillet. Add the thyme and shallot and cook over moderately high heat, stirring, until the shallot is slightly softened, about 1 minute. Remove from the heat. Add the vinegar and the remaining 1 tablespoon of olive oil; stir with a wooden spoon, scraping up any browned bits from the pan.
5. Garnish the scallops with the scallions and asparagus. Drizzle the salad with the warm vinaigrette and serve.
Shrimp and Whole Wheat Pasta Tossed in a Sun Dried Tomato & Basil Provencal
Number of Servings - 3
- 2 cups cooked fresh or dried whole wheat pasta
- 1/2 pound of peeled and deveined shrimp of preferred size
- 6 oz. of sun dried tomatoes hydrated and cut julienne
- 4 plum tomatoes diced fine
- 8 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 1/2 red onion diced fine
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup tomato juice
- juice from 1 lemon
- season with salt and coarse ground black pepper to taste
- parmesan cheese to taste
Cook pasta according to directions. Strain and set aside. Sauté shrimp in olive and canola oil seasoning with salt and pepper. Once the shrimp are seared add onions, and garlic and cook until vegetables are soft. Add diced tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, tomato juice and balsamic vinegar. Bring ingredients to a simmer. Add pasta, fresh basil and bring back to a simmer. Finish with juice from lemon and season to taste. Top with parmesan cheese, if desired.