Chef Hillori's Thai Spring Rolls & Strawberry Ice Cream
Chef Hillori: Peanut Sauce
Chef Hillori: Strawberry Crème Fraiche Ice Cream (Part 1)
Chef Hillori: Strawberry Crème Fraiche Ice Cream (Part 2)
Chef Hillori Hansen, from Whole Foods, located in Fresno, visited the Great Day Kitchen to prepare some delicious food.
Thai Spring Rolls with Peanut Sauce
- 2 small cucumber, cut into matchsticks
- 2 medium carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 bunch radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 12 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 12 mint leaves, chiffonade
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 ounce rice noodles, vermicelli
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 teaspoon fish sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- Spring Roll Wrappers (rice) 8 ½ inch
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter or almond butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced or crushed
- Juice of one lime or more to taste
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoon tamari
- 3 tablespoons water or as needed for desired texture
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger or pinch of powdered ginger
- Pinch of crushed red pepper flakes to taste
Cook rice noodles according to directions with sesame oil. Once cooled, toss them in with the vinegar, honey, fish sauce and lime juice. Set up a large shallow bowl of Luke warm water. Slip a spring roll wrapper into the water and let become pliable. Place it on a cutting board and arrange the vegetables in the center with mint and cilantro. Spread out some noodles over the vegetables and then roll the wrapper up, tucking in the ends as you roll, and rolling as tightly as possible.
Combine all ingredients until smooth, adding water as needed to reach a pourable consistency.
Strawberry Crème Fraiche Ice Cream
- 2 cups ripe strawberries, hulled and sliced
- ½ to ¾ cup maple syrup or unrefined sugar (depending on sweetness of strawberries)
- 1 cup heavy (whipping) cream
- 2 containers (5oz. each) Crème Fraiche
- 1 - 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon vanilla bean paste
- pinch of salt
Purée the strawberries with the maple syrup or sugar in a food processor. Add the cream, crème fraiche, lemon juice, vanilla, and salt and pulse until combined. Refrigerate, covered, until thoroughly chilled.
Pour the mixture into an ice cream maker and freeze according to the manufacturer's instructions. After churning, the ice cream will be soft but ready to eat. For a firmer texture, transfer to a freezer container and freeze for at least 2 hours.