An outbreak of fungal meningitis has been linked to steroid shots for back pain. The medication, made by New England Compounding Center, in Massachusetts, has been recalled.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, there have been 328 illnesses -- including five joint infections -- and 24 deaths.
Local facilities that received products from NECC (list provided by FDA):
- Adventist Medical Center, 115 Mall Drive, Hanford, CA 93230
- Adventist Medical CenterReedley, 372 W. Cypress Avenue, Reedley, CA 93654
- Clovis Community Medical Center, 2755 Herndon Avenue, Clovis, CA 93611
- Cypress Surgery Center DBA, Sequoia Surgery Center, Visalia, CA 93277
- Memorial Hospital Los Banos, 520 West I Street, Los Banos, CA 93635
- Mercy Medical Center Merced, 333 Mercy Avenue, Merced, CA 95340
- Sunalp Laser Vision, 880 East Merritt Avenue, Suite 109, Tulare, CA 93274
The Associated Press contributed to this report.