Glass Shower Doors Spontaneously Explode! Why Does It Happen?
By Erik Rosales
Imagine being startled in the middle of the night by the sound of breaking glass. It happened to a Clovis family who thought someone was breaking into their home. It turned out to be their glass shower door. James Perry with Fresno Shower Door says, "It's a defect in the glass. It could be there for 10 years or it could have been there for a month." Perry says explosions happen all the time in the warehouse. Perry says, "Yeah, I've been inside and hear glass breaking for no reason. It's one of the weirdest things." In fact there have been dozens of complaints filed to the Consumer Product Safety Commission from people who lived through similar experiences. In all, I found 57 complaints to the Consumer Product Safety Commission about exploding shower doors from various brands since 2011. Injuries have occurred in more than one out of three incidents reported to federal regulators. So what causes it? Perry says it could be anything heat, cold, or even a crack. So if this happens to you while you're taking a shower, first of all don't panic. Experts say very carefully take a towel, place it over the crumbled pieces of glass. Too often people hear the pop and try to run out. Regulators estimate that more than 2,500 people were treated for injuries related to shattered shower doors from 2010 to 2012.
KMPH Fox 26 is the Central Valley's news leader, covering Fresno, California and the surrounding area, including Clovis, Madera, Hanford, Visalia, Biola, Kerman, Tranquility, San Joaquin, Centua Creek, Coalinga, Avenal, Lemoore, Tulare, Selma, Caruthers, Tollhouse, Three Rivers, Porterville, and Merced.