Three people were recovering and many more were asked to stay in their homes after a large amount of ammonia leaked from a vintner southwest of Fresno Thursday.
Fresno firefighters were called to Golden State Vintners, off Central and Chateau Fresno, at about 5:30 a.m.
A worker starting their shift noticed a vapor cloud and called 911.
Firefighters were on scene within ten minutes.
They surveyed the area and determined no workers were inside, and everyone was accounted for.
As Hazmat crew members went in, they spotted the cloud moving in an eastern direction, toward the Fresno Police Department's Training Center.
Three workers had to be taken to the hospital because they were overcome by ammonia. Several others were treated at the scene.
Authorities evacuated people within a one-mile radius of the vintner, and power was shut off at the plant.
Families who were not evacuated were asked to close their windows, turn off their air conditioners and remain inside.
Crews were able to cap the leak Thursday afternoon.
Central Avenue was closed from Chateau Fresno to Polk as authorities investigated.
Something like this happened in the Valley recently. Just last month, a worker at the Gibson Winery in Sanger was killed after he was overcome by ammonia during a leak.
Cal-OSHA is still investigating that case.
Stay with KMPH News and KMPH.com as we continue to follow this story.