Students in a high school chemistry class got more than they bargained for, after an experiment went wrong.
The experiment created a flash fire which sent one student to the hospital.
The incident happened around 1:30 p.m. at Clovis North High School while the chemistry teacher was mixing chemicals to show how they react.
She quickly put out the fire using a blanket.
Students helped each another get safely out of the classroom, while students in other classrooms were evacuated.
Firefighters say one student suffered minor burns to her throat.
But she's expected to be okay.
High school senior Dequan Thomas said he was watching the experiment just a few seats from the front row.
"It happened so fast," he said. "The fire jetted out of the bottle and onto the kids. We were trying to get out of the way, but the fire was on the books and even our calculators."
Daquan admits he froze for a second, and then reacted.
He said he grabbed his jacket and got ready to throw it on some kids. But by that time everyone was okay.
"So I just told everyone to get out of the class, come on you gotta get out," he said.
Others ran to get help.
After the fire was put out emergency crews checked out the students.
Daquan and others say that's when they realized how lucky they were, and were glad to help their friends.
Daquan says, "I'm not sure if it was necessarily fear, but I did feel like there was something that I needed to do I can't let everyone sit over there."